Donnerstag, 3. September 2009

Me: The early years

Yes thats right it's all about me. Well if you are wondering what kind of an American decides to live in Germany I'll give you a little insight in to me. Your glorious writer of drivel that you have decided to read.

I am 37 years old. I was welped in Aug 72. My father was in the army for almost 30 very proud years. I was born officially on Rhein-Mein Airbase. B U T (there's that stupid word again) un-officially I was born in a skin clinic in Frankfurt. I had a Germany birth cirtificate the whole deal. Because my mother was Danish I also had a Danish passport along with my American and German. Nice eh?

I grew up happy. As happy as anyone else. We moved about every 3 years. Sometimes sooner but hardly later. I loved it. We lived in Germany, Spain, England and all over the US. We visited my father in Egpyt and South Koera when he was stationed there. I have a brother who is, to the day, exactly 18 months older than I am. We faught a hell of a lot growing up. I can't even remember what about. Doesn't matter much anyway. We sometimes went to civilian schools. Meaning schools off post. I can't imagine why someone would be happy staying in one place for so long. At the same time they couldn't imagine living in Germany or England. Wierd eh?

Anyway I grew up with the outdoors. Fishing, hunting, camping, the Boy Scouts, hiking the whole deal. I am at home in the woods. I am trying to pass that along to my daughter. I respect the wild as much as I love it. I'm not some hippy but I leave a camp site just as clean if not cleaner than as I found it.

My mother was a stay-at-home mom. She made damn sure a smiling face was there when we came home. She made us a snack, got us to get our homework done and got ready for supper. She did the laundry, cook and picked up after 3 males whom she loved. She kissed skinned knees and picked up up after football practice. Sadly we lost her last year. My whole life she was a rock. she was someone who I could go to for advice and guidence anytime. I miss her so much.

My dad is my dad. He drove discpline home. He made sure we were respectful and that everything was right in our little part of the world. He also showed us parts of life that my mother couldn't. The Army. Becasue of my father I later decided to become the elete in the Army. An Infantryman. There are non better. Many try but non come close. We let the Marines think they are the best becasue the Jarheads need that bullshit. We don't. We know it and the rest of the human race know it.

My older brother. A heart of gold. Always bigger than me but ready to give the shirt off his back if needed. No questions asked. I always loved my brother. I looked up to him. I always asked myself how could someone be so nice to people? He shaped me in to the person I am today. Always trying to one up eachother we unknowing pushed each other further.

The rest will come later. If you have any questions just let me know. I have little to hide.

3 Kommentare: